Monday, October 17, 2011

Part 8: Doubt

"Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, ' You of little faith, why did you doubt?'" Matthew 14.31

For the past week and a half I haven't been able to stop thinking about doubt, as much as I've tried. I'm ready to be done with the Footholds series, but I have to add this one.

Doubt in English is defined, "to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe." The Greek word used in Matthew 14.31 is edistasas which comes from distazo and means, "to doubt, waver, or hesitate" It is uncertainty as to which way to take. There are two options, but it can't decide which way to go. It is uncertain when the choice should be obvious.

In Matthew 21.21 we see doubt again, "And Jesus answered and said to them, 'Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, "Be taken up and cast into the sea," it will happen.'"

The word for doubt used here is diakrithete which is from the word diakrivo and in this context means "to hesitate, be in doubt, doubt." It refers to a lack of faith, not a weakness of it. It says faith, trust, belief, is absent and instead there is doubt. Nothing can be accomplished when there is no trust in the power you are calling out to.

Doubt is a foothold of Satan because it is the opposite of faith. It is hesitant instead of decisive. It wavers instead of being certain. It is blurred instead of focused. When doubt enters, faith is absent. When there is no trust in God, when there is no belief that God has the power to do all things, Satan has a firm grasp on us.

Satan wants us to be filled with doubt. Doubt in our selves, and doubt in God. That was the tactic he used in the beginning. In Genesis 3 he said, "has God said,..." trying to get Eve to question the word of God. He focused on the negative and the prohibition, not on God's generosity and love. When we start to question what God has said, we start to question God. When that happens doubt enters our mind, Satan gets a grip.

To combat doubt we must strengthen our faith and fill our minds with the truth of God. God has given us His word through the person of Jesus Christ. Jesus lived life as God would, setting a model for us to imitate. God has given us the incredible gift of the Bible, His written word. In it He shares His heart with us. We must fill our hearts, souls, and minds with the truth that fills the pages of Scripture.

The Bible tells us in Psalm 119.105-112, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn and I will confirm it, that I will keep Your righteous ordinances. I am exceedingly afflicted; revive me, O LORD, according to Your word. O accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me Your ordinances. My life is continually in my hand, yet I do not forget Your law. The wicked have laid a snare for me, yet I have not gone astray from Your precepts. I have inherited Your testimonies forever, for they are the joy of my heart. I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes forever, even to the end."

Joshua 1.7-9 says, "Only be strong and very courageous; be careful to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go. This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

God has told us how to stand firm in faith and have no doubt, we are to meditate on His word, it is to be our guide. It will show us the right path to take. It will remind us constantly of God's love and power. Fill your mind with the truth of Scripture, and remove the foothold of doubt from Satan.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment