Tuesday, August 9, 2011

1 Timothy 5

This chapter begins with instructions about our relationships with others. "Do not sharply rebuke an older man, but rather appeal to him as a father, to the younger men as brothers, the older women as mothers, and the younger women as sisters, in all purity." Remember, relationships are how we accomplish the goal of our message, love. Paul tells us how we are to relate to people of all ages and both genders so that we can accomplish the goal of love.

Paul then moves on to a section that can be confusing. He talks about widows and how to go about deciding which ones the church has a responsibility to help. I honestly believe that this is a good way to determine how to help anyone in need. The emphasis really isn't put on the church, but on the family. There is an obligation for family to help its own members. If the family who are believers fail to take care of the other members of their family, their own blood relatives, Paul says that they are worse than unbelievers. How can a so called Christian family neglect the care of a grandparent?

When there is no one to help, when there is no family to step up and do what they are called to do, that is when the church needs to step in. Primarily we must take care of our own, the members who are part of the Family of God. But as the body of Christ, and since we need to have good standing in the community, we should strive to help with any need we are able to. The reason the family is called to take care of it's own relatives, aside from being the right thing to do that God has commanded, is so that the church can focus fully on giving help to those who have no family to take care of them.

The passage then moves on and talks about how the church is to care for, and protect, it's pastors. I have been blessed with an incredible church board that has my back. I don't have to worry about an attack because I know that they are standing beside me ready to take it on with me. They are a true blessing, and I thank God for them. Along with this, Paul warns Timothy not to put people in church leadership too quickly. I know what it is like to have needs in ministry, there aren't enough people to do everything that needs to be done, and I don't possess the time, energy, or skills to pour into each ministry. But that doesn't mean we grab the first willing person. In chapter 3 it says that an overseer isn't to be a new convert. Just because a person is in living for Jesus, doesn't mean that they are ready for church leadership. People need to grow and mature before they lead the flock. People need to be trained and tested, before they are given leadership roles. We share some of the responsibility for those we place in leadership, so we need to do this carefully with discernment.

Paul then takes a moment, in a side note, like a thought he just had, and it shows his heart for Timothy. He tells him to drink a little wine for his stomach. This shows that Paul isn't just interested in Timothy the pastor, but in Timothy the person. He cares about Timothy's health. We've seen, and will see in chapter 6 that he is concerned with Timothy's own walk with Christ. He takes the time to invest in his life and show that Timothy isn't just filling a pulpit, but that he wants to make sure Timothy is doing well in all areas. I remember a conversation with my own mentor when I was a youth pastor in Michigan. He asked me about my sleep, my diet, my exercise, and my prayer and devotional life. He wanted to make sure that I was taking care of myself, that I wasn't neglecting my own health, both physical and spiritual, for ministry. We must take care of ourselves before we can take care of others.

Paul ends the chapter by going back to his previous thought before his side note to Timothy. He says that no deed will be concealed. Some sins are seen others aren't. But sin will all be seen as sin, and in the same way every good deed will be seen as a good deed. Things that are not good deeds cannot be concealed. That's chapter 5.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment