Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Church's Response to Current Events

My plan for the last few days has been to keep my mouth shut. As I've seen pieces of news, Facebook picture changes, and listened to conversations I have not offered any opinion. But as I've listened I've felt a growing uneasiness and for the last few hours I have really had something on my heart. I'm still not sure what this is going to look like when it's done, but here we go.

What I have to say is to the Church. Nothing I can say will change the minds of politicians, or those who have a different opinion than I do. There are people who claim the same faith but think differently about the current gay marriage stance than I do. I've read different things over the last few days from both homosexual and heterosexual individuals. I've shared why I believe in traditional marriage in a private conversation with someone who has an opposing view. I've been surprised by some of the people I've seen promoting equality.

I'm not going to share why I believe what I believe, it won't change anyone's mind. And everyone who claims to be a Christian, neither will yours. What if instead of filling Facebook with pictures and Bible verses we focused all on doing something else? What if instead of adding to the noise, we became silent and took the conversation to another audience? What if we prayed?

What if every Christian decided to avoid Facebook tomorrow and invested all of that time in prayer? God has said, "and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

I'll be the first to admit that I have dropped the ball here. I haven't prayed for this as I should have been. But what if the people of God were to humble themselves by holding their tongues, and instead seek His face and pray? God has told us what will happen. He will hear our prayers, bring forgiveness and healing.

Right now the Church needs to pray. If you don't know where you stand on the issue then simply ask for God's will to be done. Maybe that's how all of us should pray regardless of our position. Let us unite in prayer and watch God bring forgiveness and healing.

Instead of adding to the fire, enlarging the division, and driving people away from the love of Christ, let us lift our voices in prayer to God. Who will join me?

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment