Monday, March 26, 2012

Seven Year Journey

In 2005 I graduated from high school and entered college, begining the course of study for ministry preparation. In four years I completed the academic requirements for ordination in the Church of the Nazarene. And since the middle of my freshman year of college I have been serving in churches in some capacity to work on completing the experience requirements for ordination. And today everything comes down to the interview. My application has been submitted, reviewed, and found to be satisfactory. This afternoon I will sit, with my wife, before a board of ordained elders in the church.

When I got the email last week that I was being invited to interview, I got butterflies in my stomach. Not the nervous/anxious kind, but the nervous/excited kind, like what I used to get before going into a wrestling match. And while part of me feels that it has taken a long time to get to this point, I can't believe that today is already the day.

As I look back over the last seven years that have brought me specifically to this point, I am humble by all that God has done in my life. As I look back to my freshman year I was a cocky little kid who thought he knew everything about ministry and how to transform the church. Fortunately, God was able to work in the life of that kid, and through incredible professors, Godly mentors, awesome friends, God transformed me during four years of school, and began to show me His plan. When I graduated I realized how much I didn't know, how much I still had to learn, and that God had called me to His purpose, for the work of His Kingdom.

As college ended and I graduated the course of study I began to specifically serve in ministry, working to build the Kingdom and transform lives. I tried to communicate to people what God had, and was, revealing to me about His plan for the lives of His people, and the goal He had for His church. As I studied Scripture God helped me to see what it was He intended for His church and His people to be. And as I continued to learn God continued to transform and mold me into the image of His Son. As I continue to become more like Christ, God continues to increase the burden I have to communicate the need of Christlikeness to others.

I am more like Christ today than I was seven years ago. This journey of preparation has been one of trials, suffering, and hardships, but also of joy, peace and blessings. God has brought about suffering, because suffering is part of the process of becoming like Christ (Philippians 1.19). But God is faithful, and the blessings He pours out for faithfulness during the sufferings are so much greater than the hard times ever could have been.

I know that ordination will not end the hardships. If anything it makes me a more intentional target for Satan, but I know that God has called me to this, and that He will be faithful and walk with me. As He said in Joshua 1.9, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." And I know that I am not alone. Ordination is confirmation from others that have been through this, it is joining the ranks of other servants of God who will stand by me. I have my Proverbs 18.24 brothers who I know have my back at all times. I have my family, who has supported (emotionally, spiritually, and financially) my journey to this point. God has blessed me with an incredible wife, who willingly chose to join me in this journey, who will stand by my side and support me; I am so grateful for you, and I love you so much. And most importantly I have the same promise from God that He made to Joshua, "Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

I know that ordination will not mark the end of my journey to Christlikeness. As Paul said in Philippians 3.12-14, "Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Father, thank you for this call, this opportunity to serve you in this capacity. Thank you for the people you have blessed me with along the way that have helped me get to this point. Father, today let your will be done, and glorify yourself through everything that happens.

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment