Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Part 3: Fear

"I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid" Luke 12.4a.

I'm sure many of us have heard that the Bible says 365 times don't be afraid, one for each day of the year. I was curious so I did several searches, and I can say with some confidence, that that is a made up statistic. After playing around with different wordings I have only been able to find 118 places in the Bible telling us not to fear. Regardless, it's a lot. God tells us over and over again not to fear, not to be afraid, not to tremble, not to let our hearts be troubled, not to be dismayed or fainthearted. I think He tells us over and over because this is the foot hold that most controls us. I think this is the foothold that leads to all the other footholds. I think fear is at the root of everything bad.

In English, fear is defined "a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid." Fear controls us. Fear leads to worry and anxiety. Fear can lead to anger. Fear can cause ignorance and apathy. Fear could lead to pride as a defense mechanism, and fear could lead to greed. Fear is at the heart of so much, I would say that it's the strongest and largest foot hold that Satan can have. And I believe that is why God tells us so many times not to fear.

The word for fear is Greek is phobos, it means fear, terror, trembling or concern. It is fear caused by intimidation of an adversary. It's a negative emotion that controls our lives. Fear keeps people from so many things. How many things have you not done because of a fear? Fear keeps us from living our lives to the fullest, St. Irenaeus said, "The glory of God is man fully alive." God created us not to be in fear, but to live lives of adventure to His glory. We were created for life not fear.

When we talk about fear however, you can't simply address the negative side. As many times as we are told not to fear, we are given instructions about fear we need to have.

Luke 12.4-7, “I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him! Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows."

God is able to destroy our souls. If our physical lives are ended that is the worst that any physical force can do to us. We have no need to fear men, animals, or natural disasters, because the only thing we can lose is physical life. And according to Paul in Philippians 1.21, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Instead, we are told to fear God, because after this life is over, God has the authority to cast our souls into Hell.

This aspect of fear is different though. This is not fear out of terror, but fear out of reverence. It is respect not simply of God's power, but for His holiness. God has the authority to cast us into Hell not simply because He has the power to do so, but because He is so Holy. He is the Judge who has committed no crime, the only one worthy to judge. He is perfect, and no imperfection can stand before Him. That is what we fear in God. And again, it is not out of terror. God is not waiting for us to mess up so that He can punish us. God does not desire for any to perish, 2 Peter 3.9. God cares for us.

Luke tells us that five sparrows are sold for two pennies. Matthew said that two sparrows are sold for one penny. If you spent an extra cent you got not only the four you had paid for, but an extra one thrown in that wasn't given any value. This fifth sparrow wasn't forgotten by God, and we are worth more than many sparrows. God has numbered the hairs on your head. God knows you, you're never just a face lost in a crowd to God. He knows your name and everything about you, and He cares for you.

Joshua 1.9, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Psalm 46.10-11, "Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our stronghold."

Psalm 56.3-4, "When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?"

God cares for me, so what can man do to me? God cares for you, what can man do to you? What do we have to fear? Satan will use fear to control us. I believe that this is his firmest foothold because it is so deeply rooted.

Wesley said, "Give me 300 people who fear nothing but God and hate nothing but sin and I will set this world on fire." Fear nothing but God, He is Holy so we fear Him out of respect for His holiness and power. He is the only one we need to fear. Respect God, trust Him, and fear nothing but Him, and pull Satan's firmest foothold our from underneath him.

Peace be with you

1 comment:

  1. I needed this brother. Because of what we talked about earlier. thank you.

    ReplyDelete