Monday, July 26, 2010

...Joy...

Joy, this is the second part of the Fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5.22.

This word is one of the crucial ones to take back to the original language. In English joy is defined as "emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying." Based on this definition, according to scripture in 1 Thessalonians 5.16, I am to be full of great delight and happiness all the time. But as any person knows life is not always happy and delightful. Good things do not always happen to us, some times we are angry. So does the Bible call us to do something that we can't do? Does it set a standard we cannot attain?

As the opening blog for this talked about the Fruit of the Spirit is something that God produces in us, but this part is not a feeling of constant elation. The Greek word used by Paul is the word chara (pronounced hara). This word means "cause of joy, occasion of rejoicing". It is not merely a feeling of delight, but the source, the reason for us to be glad.

Let's look at scripture. Hebrews 12.1-3, "Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy (charas) set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

For Jesus the cross was not a moment of intense happiness. In the hours he was beaten, mocked and crucified I'm fairly certain there was not to much happiness or delight. But the cross was a source of Joy for Jesus. The blood Jesus shed on the cross paid for sin. The cross was the reason Jesus came to earth. The cross lead to Jesus being exalted. The verse says that Jesus sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Philippians 2.9-11 says that because Jesus endured the cross God highly exalts Him and gives Him the name that is above every name.

Several months ago I worked through the Fruit of the Spirit on my own, not looking at original language, just praying through each word. For joy I wrote contentment, satisfaction with life. Joy is contentment, but it isn't complacency. We need to be content but restless. Jesus was content to go to the cross, in the garden He prayed, "If it is possible let this cup pass from me, but not as I will as You will." He knew He had to go to the cross, but He didn't do it casually, He did it with all His heart. I love the scene in the Passion of the Christ where Jesus is being beaten with the sticks. The soldiers get done with the first round and Jesus is there collapsed and shaking. The soldiers stand there thinking they have handed out a decent beating, and then Jesus stands back up. Everyone is shocked, the soldiers are angry, this man just got back on His feet, silently saying that He could handle it. He knew that more had to come, that a worse beating had to be endured. It might have ended there, but He stood back up. He had to do this fully. He took the beating, carried the cross, surrendered to the nails, and at the end said, "It is finished" knowing that He had given His all, knowing that He had done the task He was sent to do to the best of His ability.

That is chara, the reason to rejoice, the source of joy. For Jesus it was the cross. William Barclay said "The cross...meant the final victory."

I said in the first blog, the Fruit of the Spirit is all or nothing, and they build upon each other. For us our chara, our source of joy is our agape which comes from God. No matter where I am in life, no matter what my situation is, no matter what I'm going through, good or bad, I can always be joyful, I can always be satisfied because I am loved unconditionally by God.

I live content but restless. I know that I am where God wants me to be right now, and until He closes this door and opens a new one, I will strive to do this to the best of my abilities. I am unconditionally loved by God, how could I give him anything less than my best effort?

Live with Joy

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment