Sunday, January 31, 2010

It's been three years?

My tears have all been shed, but I still miss her so much. Today marks the third anniversary of my dear friend Linda Russe going home to Heaven, and honestly I can't believe it's been that long.

I knew the date was coming up, but I didn't realize that today was it until I saw the date on my watch this afternoon. And as I sat and listened to the cd she had made and read through the program from her funeral memories stared to come back. I could talk forever about her, but honestly I don't want to fill today with words that bring up the past.

Remembering is important, there are so many good memories that bring joy to my life, little things she would do that I really miss, things she would say to me, inside jokes we had, things that are treasured in my heart for the rest of my life.

But today as I looked at the funeral program I saw something that I had forgotten about. In the program was a list of Linda's favorite verses, and the one that stood out to me is from 2 Timothy 4.7, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;"

I have an entire sermon dedicated to Linda that celebrates her life, but all of it can be summed up in these sixteen words. She lived with faith, she battled cancer with faith, and she went home in faith. She showed me how to live a life of love, and how to die with confidence. She knew that when she closed her eyes for the last time on this earth and when she took her last breath she would open her eyes and see the face of Christ, she would breath in the sweet air of Heaven.

And today as I remember, I am able to celebrate and not cry, because I know where my friend is, and I know that I will see her again.

I love and miss you Linda, until we meet again in Glory, I will fight the good fight, I will finish my course, and I will keep the faith. You taught me so much in the four short years we knew each other, and I hope to leave a legacy like you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment